I’ve been working with computers, software, and websites for a very long time. I wrote my first computer program in 1980 using punch-cards and batch jobs sent to a mainframe. That was more than 40 years ago, and I’ve been around and using computers for software development and building websites every since.
But perhaps you have never built a website. and maybe you’ve never even used the basic tools that professional web developers to create websites. Fortunately, it’s very possible to create a website without knowing how to program or without having any experience at all with creating websites.
How can you build a website with no experience? It involves using a content management system (CMS) called WordPress. WordPress is a website platform that you can use to build every type of website, from a simple blog to a large corporate website. WordPress is an open source software platform, so it costs nothing to use. Let me give you a link to a beginner’s tutorial on building a website using WordPress. https://www.wpbeginner.com/guides/ should help you get started.
The as yet unanswered question is Why. Why do I like WordPress to build websites. Let me list a few reasons:
1) Open Source software – As was said earlier, WordPress is an open source platform and is free to use
2) WordPress is widely used everywhere. WordPress powers more than a third of all websites. This includes some big ones like the New York Times, CNN, and TechCrunch. In fact, WordPress is what I use to build this blog.
3) It’s easy to use – the tutorial link above will help you see how easy it is to get started. But let it be understood — using WordPress is designed to be easy for people who have no experience with writing code or building websites.
4) There are hundreds of free and premium plugins – There are literally thousands of plugins available ( for free ) for WordPress that you can use to easily do all kinds of customizations.
5) WordPress is the best CMS for Search Engine Optimization (SEO). Instead of listing all of the reasons this might be true, let me give you this list of reasons, created by Search Engine Journal. https://www.searchenginejournal.com/wordpress-best-cms-seo/
So, If you want to build a website, have no experience at all, and want to use a widely supported, easy to use tool designed for the job, start with WordPress.